Professor K. Shamsuddin Mahmood
Building: No. 04
Postal address: School of law
Professor K Shamsuddin Mahmood is the founder Head of the School of Law and in-house law adviser of BRAC University. Shamsuddin was instrumental in drawing up the curriculum for the LLB Program and receiving its approval from the University Grants Commission. Before joining BRAC University, he began his career by joining the Bar and became an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh as well as a lecturer in law. Eventually he pursued teaching as a full time profession and became Principal and served the Central Law College, Dhaka for several years.
During the two decades of his academic career, he has been teaching in the Law and Business discipline from the tertiary level and above, especially Business Laws, Law of Property, Law of Insurance, Conveyancing, Industrial Relations and Legal Jurisprudence. He has been associated with both Public and Private institutions of repute as a resource person, a member of the Academic Council and the Chairman of examination committees. Shamsuddin also used to be a freelance legal consultant for many foreign consulting establishments of esteem in international projects in Bangladesh funded by the World Bank and ADB.
Shamsuddin is the founder Executive Committee Member of the Bangladesh Environmental Lawyers Association (BELA) and a prolific contributor and activist in the cause of environment protection of Bangladesh. He was previously associated as a Legal Network coordinator of Amnesty International Bangladesh Chapter. He is also Past President of the Rotary Club of Dhaka South, an Ex. Assistant Governor and Deputy Dist. Trainer, Dist. 3280 Bangladesh, Rotary International. Shamsuddin is a Social worker and a life member of the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society.
Born in a family of legal professionals and academics, Shamsuddin completed his schooling and higher secondary studies from the St. Gregory’s High School and Notre Dame College respectively. He studied the undergraduate program in Law at the University of Dhaka and pursued further studies in the United Kingdom to obtain his Master of Laws from The King’s College, University of London.
|Institution||Certificate / Degree obtained
|St. Gregory's High School
Secondary School Certificate Examination
|Notre Dame College
Higher Secondary Certificate Examination
|Faculty of Law
University of Dhaka
|Bachelor of Laws with Honours
|Faculty of Laws
University of London
|Master of Laws
Entrusted with the responsibility of teaching courses on Legal Environment of Business, Industriul Relations and Business Laws in BBA and MBA Degree programme along with courses in legal discipline ( viz., the law of property and transfer, business laws, law of insurance and conveyancing & legal writing etc).
- Dean, School of Law, BRAC University, June 2, 2015 to till date
- Head, Undergraduate Program, School of Law, BRAC University 2004 to June 1, 2015
- Principal, Law College, Dhaka(An affiliate of National University, Bangladesh)
- Vice-Principle, Law College, Dhaka(An affiliate of National University, Bangladesh) 1993 to 2001
- Senior Lecturer, Central Law College, Dhaka(An affiliate of National University, Bangladesh) 1983 to 1993
legal consultant (freelance)
- Sir William Halcrow & Partners (HALCROW FOX) United Kingdom
- AQUA Consultants & Associates Ltd., Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Engineering & Technological Services (BETS)
- Techno Planners Ltd.
- Halcrow Management Sciences Ltd. UK
- MARTECH International Inc., USA
- HB Consultants of Dhaka along with TERA, USA
Resources Person (Visiting/ part time lecturer/ Ajdunct Faculty Member
- Institute of Business Adminitration (IBA), University of Dhaka
- Independent University, Bangladesh (IUB)
- University of Asia Pacific (UAP)
- Continuing Legal Education Programme (CLEP)
Bangladesh Bar Council.
- Bangladesh Institute of Bank Management (BIBM)
- Bangladesh Airlines Training Center (BATC)
- Rapport Bangladesh.
- Business Laws
- Climate Change and Environmental Issues
Conferences, Talks, and Speaking Engagements:
Attended many conferences both national and international level including International Seminar on Leadership in Parliament jointly hosted by the World Bank Institute and Royal Rhodes University, Canada. Used to engage frequently and deliver talks as Resource Person, Honorary Lecturer/ Guest Speaker in different Training Institutes of commercial banks, Bangladesh Air lines Training Center, Bangladesh Institute of Bank Management and Rapport Bangladesh Limited.
Paper setter and Examiner of the Faculty of Laws, Dhaka University, National University, Bangladesh Institute of Bank Management and Institute of Bankers, Bangladesh.
- Founder Executive Committee Member, Bangladesh Environmental Lawyers Association (BELA).
- Former Member, Academic Council, The National University, Bangladesh.
- Former Legal Network Co-coordinator, Amnesty International, Bangladesh Chapter.
- Assistant Governor (2004-05), Deputy and Assistant District Trainer, Rotary International District 3280, Bangladesh.
- Former President, Rotary Club of Dhaka South, Rotary International District 3280, Bangladesh.
- Former President, Friends of Bangladesh, Dhaka: A Humanitarian Society with Parent body in UK.
- Former Vice-President and life member, Bangladesh Law Association.
- Life Member, Bangladesh Red Crescent Society.