Dr. Shahidul Islam Khan
Room: UB50507, Building: 05
66 Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212
Professor Shahidul Islam Khan, Ph.D. has joined BRACU, Department of EEE as Professor and Chairperson on July 02, 2017. Professor Khan served as Head, Department of EEE, Dean, Faculty of EEE and Director, Centre for Energy Studies, BUET. He was a Professor, Department of EEE at BUET just before joining BRACU.
Shahidul Khan received his BS and MS in electrical and electronic engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) in 1974 and 1979, respectively, and Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Concordia University in 1986. His research interests are in renewable energy, solar photovoltaics, rural electrification and power electronics. He has over 65 publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences. Before joining BRAC University, he was a faculty member at the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at BUET serving in different capacities (professor, head of the department and dean of the faculty) during his 29 years of tenure. He also served as the director of the Center for Energy Studies (CES) at BUET during 2005-2009 and a visiting faculty at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering of the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Johor Bahru, Malaysia, during 1996-1999. He served as the founding chair and the chair of IEEE Bangladesh Section (1993-1995, 2000-2002, 2005-2006), and also served as the chair of Power and Energy Society, IEEE Bangladesh Section (2012-2013, 2016-2017). Since 2013, he is an editorial board member of the IEEE flag-ship open access journal: IEEE Access. On national renewable energy policies, Dr. Khan is a consultant in many projects for the Government of Bangladesh and appears regularly in the national media (TV, newspapers). He supervised more than 10 master’s thesis, numerous bachelor’s thesis and carried out many research activities funded through the Government of Bangladesh and GIZ.
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, 1986
Department of Electrical Engineering,
Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
Dissertation: Analysis and Design of Forced Commutated Cycloconverters for Three and Single Phase Applications.
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, 1979
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
Thesis: Study of Effect of Lightning Surges on A Power System by Digital Computer.
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, 1974
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, BUET
- Power Plant Engineering
- High Voltage Engineering
- Electrical Machines
- Industrial Electronics
- Electrical Circuits
- Design of Power Electronic Circuits and Drives
- Power Semiconductor Circuits
- Energy Conversion, Renewable Energy
1. Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, BUET (1995-June2017).
2. Director, Centre for Energy Studies, BUET (2005-2009).
3. Dean, Faculty of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, BUET (2001-2003).
4. Head, Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, BUET (1999- 2001).
5. Visiting Faculty, Energy Conversion (ENCON) Department, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Johor Bahru, Malaysia (1996-1999).
6. Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, BUET (1992-1995).
7. Visiting Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST), Bangladesh (March-December 2011, April-July 2013).
8. Visiting Professor, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1994).
9. Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, BUET (1981-1992).
10. Founder Chair and Chair IEEE Bangladesh Section (1993-1995, 2000-2002, 2005-2006).
11. Chair, Power and Energy Society, IEEE Bangladesh Section (2012-2013, 2016-2017).
12. Vice Chair, Bangladesh Solar Energy Society (2010-2011, 2012-2013, 2015-17).
13. Chapter Representative, R10 -West, Power and Energy Society, IEEE (2009- 2010)
14. Editorial Board Member, IEEE Access-Multidisciplinary Open Access Journal of IEEE (2013-Present) (http://ieeeaccess.ieee.org/editorial-leadership-and-staff/editorial-boar...).
15. Member, Scientific Committee, “Solar Technologies and Hybrid Mini Grids to Improve Energy Access”, 21-23 September 2016, 2013, Bad Hersfeld, Germany, organized by OTTI.
16. Member, Scientific Committee, 3rd Symposium on Small PV-Applications, June 17-18, 2013, Ulm, Germany organized by OTTI.
17. Co-Chairman, 2nd Symposium on Small PV-Applications, June 6-7, 2011, Ulm, Germany organized by OTTI.
18. Member, Scientific Committee, Symposium on Small PV-Applications, May 25-26, 2009, Ulm, Germany organized by OTTI.
19. Editor, Journal of Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Division, Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB) (1995, 2009 –2010).
20. Editor-In-Chief, Journal of Energy & Environment, Centre for Energy Studies (CES), BUET, (2006 – 2009).
21. Editor, Electricity from Renewable Energy, Journal of Energy & Environment, CES, BUET
22. Chairman, 1st International Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering (ICECE2001), Sonargaon Pan Pacific Hotel, Dhaka, January 5-6, 2001.
23. Member, Organizing Committee, International Seminar on “Advances in Alternative/Renewable Energy”, Energy Group, Research and Development Unit, Johor Bharu, Universiti Technologi Malaysia, July 22-24, 1997.
24. Member, International Advisory Committee and Session Chair of Session SE3A, International Conference on “Electricity Sector Development and Demand Side Management” (ESDDSM’95), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, November 21-22, 1995.
25. Chairman, First IEEE National Conference on Electrotechnology (ET ‘95), Sept. 20, 1995, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
26. Session Chairman of Demand Side Management Session at the “International Symposium on Electricity Distribution and Energy Management” (ISEDESM‘93), Singapore, October 27-29, 1993.
a. Mohammad Ziaur Rahman, Shahidul Islam Khan, “Advances in surface passivation of c-Si solar cells”, Materials for Renewable and Sustainable Energy. vol. 1 no. 1 page 1. 06 October 2012. Doi: 10.1007/s40243-012-0001-y (Total citation 37).
b. Zia Wadud, Himadri S. Dey, Md. Ashfanoor Kabir, Shahidul I. Khan, “Modeling and Forecasting natural gas demand in Bangladesh”, Published Online 15 September 2011, Energy Policy 39(11), pp.7372-7380, Nov 2011.
Doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2011.08.066(Total Google Scholar Citation 42).
c. Shahidul I. Khan, P.D. Ziogas and M. H. Rashid, "A Novel Single to Three Phase Static Converter", IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications, Vol. IA-25, No.1, pp.143-152, Jan./Feb. 1989.Doi: 10.1109/28.18884(Total Google Scholar Citation 38).
d. P.D. Ziogas, Shahidul I. Khan, and M. H. Rashid Analysis and Design of Forced Commutated Cycloconverter Structures with Improved Transfer Characteristics. Volume: IE-33, Issue: 3, Aug. 1986. Doi: 10.1109/TIE.1986.350233. (Total Google Scholar Citation 213).
Book Chapter and Contributions:
a. “Solar Home System”, a book on Solar PV in rural areas in Bengali. Book Chapter (one of six) on Charge Controller is written by me. The book is published in March 2013 by German Technical Cooperation (GIZ), Dhaka.
b. Contributor to the book entitled "Power Electronics: Circuits, Devices and Applications" by Muhammad H. Rashid, Prentice Hall, NJ, USA, 1988, 1993, 2004 (3rd edition). The book is translated in many languages.
- Solar Photovoltaics
- Renewable Energy and Environment
- Industrial Energy Efficiency
- Rural Electrification
- Power Electronics and Motor Drives
Conferences, Talks, and Speaking Engagements:
a. Shahidul I. Khan, Sheikh A. Raihan, Md. Habibullah and Sk. Fahim Abrar, “Reducing the Cost of Solar Home System Using the Data from Data Logger”, in Proceedings, 2017 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid and Smart Cities (ICSGSC 2017), pp.37—41, July 25-26, 2017, Singapore.
b. Shahidul I. Khan, Md. Fazley Rabbi, “An Innovative Financing Mechanism: Creating Access to Renewable Energy for Rural People of Bangladesh”, Global Conference on Rural Energy Access: A Nexus Approach to Sustainable Development and Poverty Eradication, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, December 4-6, 2013 (http://is.gd/unruralenergyconference).
c. Shahidul I. Khan, A. Kashem and M. Ariful Hoque, “Design and Analysis of a Mini Grid in Remote Area of Bangladesh”, 41stNorth American Power Symposium (NAPS 2009), Oct. 4-6, 2009, Starkville, Mississippi, USA.
d. Speaker. International Short Course on Solar Photovoltaic System, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2-6 October 2010.
e. Panelist at Energy Talk on “Solar in Bangladesh”, ATN News, at 9:30-10:30 PM on 9 June, 2017
f. Panelist at Energy Talk on “Electrical Safety”, ATN News, at 9:30-10:30 PM on 26 May, 2016.
g. Short interview on “Prospect of Solar Energy in Bangladesh”, broadcasted on 1 April 2010, BBC London, Bengali Service.
a. Committee Prize Paper Award of the Static Converter Committee of the Industry Applications Society, IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting (1984)
b. "Best Paper Award" published in the Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (1981)
c. "UGC Prize" of University Grants Commission (UGC), Bangladesh (1980)
a. Senior Member, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc. (IEEE), N.Y., USA.
b. Fellow, Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh
c. Fellow, Bangladesh Computer Society
d. Member, Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS)
e. Life Member, Bangladesh Solar Energy Society
f. Member Energy Research Group, UTM
g. Member of Environment Study Group, UTM
November 20th, 2017
November 3rd, 2017
October 15th, 2017
September 28th, 2017